We are excited to introduce the newest addition to our RiverWatch website: our interactive Canoe Map Tour! This feature is based upon the work of Laura Arney of the Sierra Club Rochester Regional Group.
In 2004, Laura created a laminated, tri-fold map of both the North and South Genesee watershed. This map highlights existing and possible access points. She also presented throughout the community a slide show highlighting pictures and interesting observations taken from these various locations. We have attempted to capture the spirit of her work in an interactive framework here on our website! Pdf versions of Laura's original maps are available for download: North basin and South basin.
Our Canoe Map Tour is not complete. We need pictures to fill out this interactive map! Some of Laura's original pictures from the slide show are currently present, starting with slide number 20.
We encourage the public to email us additional pictures and we will add some of them to our map tour. The locations of these access points may be found using our Interactive Genesee Basin map. Laura's points are illustrated using canoe icons.
1. Click on a particular canoe icon and choose Zoom To at the bottom of this pop-up.
2. Change the Base Map to OpenStreetMap to find the exact map location.
3. Travel to the point, take a picture, and email it to us. Please send high resolution photos. We will reduce them to the appropriate size for the slide show.
4. Select photos will be added to our Photo Gallery and the top photo for each Canoe Access pointwill be added to the Canoe Tour Map. We will give credit to you in the description of each picture.
5. Send photos to Wayne Howard.
By sending us photos for use on this site implies permission for us to use them elsewhere in promotional materials.
6. We Thank you for your participation!